Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Best effort on jobs?

First and foremost, I encourage all who read this blog to tune into the President's address tomorrow night. You may not like him, or anything that he has to say -- but as President, he deserves your attention and respect.


Now, to the purpose of his speech -- jobs. This particular speech has special meaning to me, since I've been unemployed for a grand total of 10 months now (a marker in time that I never thought I'd reach). Granted, I'm not nearly as bad off as some Americans -- but regardless, it is my firm belief that the best jobs plan will belong to our next president.

While the importance of the content of the President's speech tonight cannot be overstated, I'm concerned about its reception. The media, and the White House, have been playing up this speech for over a week. The expectations could not be higher. For this reason, I feel bad for the president. He'd have to do nothing short of eliminating unemployment forever, along with the deficit, to keep up with expectations.

Placating the expectations game is a dangerous dance, and one I hope the President knows the steps to.

No comments:

Post a Comment