Monday, July 25, 2011

the american people infuriate me.

I'm sitting here, watching the President make his case to the American people on prime time TV and the only thing I can think of is to scream. As Josh Lyman put it so eloquently, "I'm so sick of Congress, I could vomit." I agree with Josh, but I'm so sick of the American people, I could vomit. We elect the most ridiculous people to Congress, expecting them to represent us, and this is what we're left with.

When the constitution was written, our founding fathers saw Congress as a body of government that would give people the opportunity to have a say in what happens with their government. The people elected these representatives because they felt as though that person had their interests at heart.

I challenge everyone that reads this to 3 things. #1) Can you tell me anything about your member of Congress? (without cheating, of course). #2) Why did your member get elected? OR Why have they continually been re-elected? #3) Have they said anything of substance/anything that you agree with since their swearing in, in January?

Since I expect this of my readers, I'll share with you the answers to my questions. #1) Tom Reed -- former mayor of Corning, father of two, medical debt collector by trade. #2) He got elected because of one word "Obamacare." Even if it was irrelevant, he would say "Obamacare is bad. Let's repeal it." and hoards of people would start cheering -- and those of us with brains would ask, "and replace it with what? you?" Tommy Boy isn't real good at answering questions he didn't write himself. #3) No, and never will. He actually got an article posted in my local newspaper that said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. He criticized the president and said that he's "hopeful" when it comes to the debt negotiations. WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?!

I think what irritates me the most is that everyone is willing to point fingers and place blame, but no one is willing to offer a solution to the problem. No one is responsible for the problem and no one wants to solve it, they just want to be innocent.

Well, sorry Mitch, someone needs to be responsible AND come up with a solution. Saying "no" to everything will only get you a funny nickname, just ask Dick Cheney.

For the last 6 years, I've swore up and down that I'd never run for office. I know what it takes to be a candidate, and that's not what I want to do. However, it's my nature to solve problems. I don't care whose fault it is or where blame is placed, I care about the resolution.

Therefore, I submit to you, my readers, one last challenge. GET INVOLVED. Find someone you want to run for Congress, and help them. Don't wait for the party establishment to do it for you. They aren't the ones that are unemployed, in need of better healthcare or dependent on social security. You are.

I found my guy, and he's awesome. (When redistricting is done, I'll tell you more about him). He'll represent the people of Western New York the way they deserve.

I know, those of you that know me are chuckling under your breath saying something along the lines of "you sure he's not a sex offender or a pervert?" Newsflash: you're all hilarious.

Get involved. Someone once said, "history is made by those who show up." Well folks, it's time to take attendance, and I'm looking at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment